The Perpetual You is unique from other magazines in that we do not have "writers" writing for us. Rather, the content we feature is contributed willingly by coaches, creatives, and other experts in the fields of Wellness/Self-Care, Travel, Food, Mixology, and Home Design. The editing work for our magazine, therefore, often consists of helping a contributor brainstorm topics and sidebar information; discover & emphasize the main point of her article; and, fine-tune her voice.
While this type of editing is extraodinary, great opportunity for improving your own literary talents exists in this type of work. Our Managing Editor will work with you every step of the way to ensure you're participating in a process that feeds your soul as much as the soul of the writer herself. Due to the positive nature of our subject material, you'll likely find that you feel better about your self & your life along the way!
Below is a brief rundown of the sections of our magazine and the types of editors each section requires.
The opening section of our magazine provides real-life, easily accessible content that requires very little "shifting of the mind." Many of the articles contain "tips" that relate the content to actionable steps the reader can take, if she so chooses. The word count for articles in this section is short (>500 words) so that content can be digested in minimal periods of time, for example a 15-minute break from work.
Editors interested in working with our Realize contributors will excel if they have:
- Experience writing and editing average-length blog posts on lifestyle topics
- Expert or innate talent in structuring text
- Enjoyment of a variety of topics, themes, writing styles, and voices
The second section of our magazine focuses on a woman's physical environment and the influence it has upon her overall mood. This section contains the widest variety of article styles and lengths, ranging from a 900-word article with one easily digestable 'tip' to a 2000+ word article detailing the renovation of a room in one's home. Each article does, however, provide the same mix of intimate tone with professional knowledge. Unlike many home design magazines, our Dwell section seeks to entertain and inform, not to 'preach.'
Editors interested in working with our Dwell contributors will excel if they have:
- Experience writing and editing medium-length blog posts and/or magazine articles on home design
- Enjoyment of a variety of themes, writing styles, and voices
- Interest in or experience with DIY, home remodeling, home design, interior products, or other home-related areas
- Editing superpowers (for example, turning a draft-without-focus into a nuanced article)
The middle section of our magazine features a woman, or a pair of women, who is living a self-aware, purposeful, and, often, outstanding life. This article ranges from 2000-2500 words and also includes 4 pull-out quotes and 1-2 sidebars of additional information. Because of the importance of this article, our Managing Editor is involved with its composition from start to finish; however, there is ample opportunity for a gifted editor to truly make this piece her own.
Editors interested in working with our Managing Editor on the production of our Cover story will excel if they have:
- Experience writing and editing story-focused journalism pieces and/or longer manuscripts
- Interest in or experience with pre-interview research & question-writing, as well as fact-checking & post-interview follow-up
- Intense distaste for interviews published in Q & A format
- Proven ability to select quotable text from interview transcripts
- Desire to work with our Managing Editor in crafting the most important piece of the magazine!
The final section of our magazine offers readers a higher-level mindset shift. Articles are written about social issues that negatively affect women with the primary purpose to reframe those challenges to be manageable. The word count for articles in this section range from 1500-2000+. Section headings and sidebars are employed so that content can be fully and easily digested, even for busy women.
Editors interested in working with our Lifestyle contributors will excel if they have:
- Experience writing and editing longer blog posts and/or magazine articles
- Interest in "reframing" women's issues, for example body image and social relationships
- An eye for 'soundbites' worthy of being pulled out for sidebar purposes
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills
We recognize that editing and copywriting is a highly valuable and learned skill. In lieu of monetary compensation, The Perpetual You promises to promote your website, business, or brand actively throughout each month that you collaborate with us. We also include all collaborators on our Makers Page. You will be given written recognition of your editing efforts within each issue to which you contribute your time. Because we value your time and talent, we ask that you volunteer no more than 5 hours per month for our magazine.
If you are interested in providing 3-5 hours of editing on a volunteer basis, please fill out our contact form. Don't forget to include your professional website, if you have one.
p.s. We love the Oxford comma! And so should you!!